Monday, October 21, 2013

Week Six!




Friends from home - Sister Caron, Sister Gustafson & Sister Young at the Provo Temple.

October 19, 2013

Finished the last week in the MTC! woo! Such a great week!


Firstly, we're back at Main Campus. again. We're pretty sure that no missionaries have ever moved campuses as many times as we have in the entire history of the MTC ever. It's okay though because we're willing to do what is asked of us, even if it means moving every few weeks. We got this! And as our RS choir director said, "Blessed are they who are flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape." :)

We had an incredible devotional this week from Elder Dallin H. Oaks!!! It was so awesome! He talked about three reasons why we can say that our church is the only true and living church on the earth: We have a fullness of doctrine, we have the power of the priesthood, and our testimony of Christ and His role as Savior and Redeemer. One thing I loved was at the end when he called us his "fellow servants of Christ". I had never really thought about being servants alongside the quorum of the 12, so that was a pretty neat compliment.

Remember how I said that Elder Krutsch and I got invited to do our musical number? So I was thinking that we would be doing it for a small group of missionaries or maybe at a small meeting, but nope. We're performing at the entire MTC devotional tomorrow night. A little nervous about that, but it's all good. I don't think I've ever done anything in front of 3,000 people before, let alone play the piano! It should be a good experience! I'm excited!

We had some awesome classes this week where we went to the "market" and rode on a "jeepney". Brother Poole brought in a bunch of food items and we had to try to sell them to each other in Tagalog. Haha good times! One day he also set up chairs really close together and had us practice contacting people like we were on a jeepney. It was pretty fun! I'm excited to do that for real in just a few days!

It was Elder Robison's 19th birthday on Monday, so we had a little surprise birthday party for him. We bought him a carton of Graham Canyon ice cream from the Wyview Creamery. We got his comp to make him leave the room and then we cleaned the classroom and decorated the board. We stuck 19 candles in the ice cream and turned off all the lights. When they came back we all yelled surprise. It was probably one of the funnest things we've done so far as a district haha... we know how to "party" in the MTC ;). Also, this Filipino Elder we've made friends with gave us a bunch of Filipino snacks and candies so we tried those. It was some weird banana brittle, some candy called choc-nut (which literally tastes like chalk), some puff pastry stuff, and some garlic corn nuts. It was interesting haha... we liked the puff pastry things the best. I guess we'll get used to the rest in the next year and a half :)

 A really neat experience happened last Saturday when we went to the temple. I had been feeling slightly sick to my stomach ever since we got our flight plans last Friday because of nervousness. As we went to the temple, I prayed that I would be able to feel at peace and calm about leaving for the field. During the session I felt the Spirit, but the real blessing came afterward. As we were waiting in the lobby of the temple, there was a sister sitting across from us. She asked where we were serving and when we told her the Philippines, she got sooo excited! She just got back from serving in the Philippines in May! She was one of the happiest, glowiest people I've ever met. As she talked about her love for her mission, the people, and the country, my heart was filled with peace. She expressed how much she wishes she could go back and do it all over again because even though it was difficult it was the best thing she's ever done. She just had so many amazing things to say about the Philippines. I am so grateful for a Heavenly Father who knows me and loves me enough to know that I needed to hear the encouraging and happy words of this wonderful sister. Something that simple was just what I needed  to renew my excitement to go and serve in the most amazing country in the world. :)

The next time I write will be from the Philippines! My address until further notice is: 
 
Sister Mckenna Gustafson
Philippines Urdaneta Mission
LDS Chapel Provincial Road
San Vicente East, Urdaneta City
Pangasinan
Philippines



I love you all! Have a great week :)

Love,
Sister Gus:)



Missionaries going to the Philippines, Urdaneta Mission on October 21, 2013




No comments:

Post a Comment