Monday, April 7, 2014

Called to...Train!



 Sunset over the fish ponds in Manat.

 Yep, you read that right! This sister is going to be training a brand new missionary for the next two transfers! One of the Assistants called me on Wednesday after our zone training meeting and gave the news (after I had missed his first call because I couldn't find the right button to answer the phone because my hands were shaking haha). When he extended the call he asked me how I felt and I couldn't respond for a few seconds. I was a little choked up and overwhelmed at the responsibility it is to set the tone for a new missionary's mission. I'm really excited though and grateful for the opportunity! There are only 6 missionaries coming and only three sisters, so it's a privilege to be training this transfer! I had the privilege to go to Urdaneta on Friday and sit in the mission home living room to be taught by President Monahan and the assistants with the 5 other trainers. It was such a blessing to be taught by the mission leaders and the Spirit in such a small group setting. All of the new missionaries are coming from the Manila MTC, so I will probably get a Filipina, which makes my fourth Filipina companion!

I'm going to be real here. We have a lot of investigators, but none that are currently progressing. None the less, we are continuing to focusing on finding, finding, finding the elect! President has received revelation for our mission that the way to find the elect is through the members and having short, powerful, 15 minute lessons with them and meeting all of their neighbors. We've been doing it and having some success in finding new investigators. We are also going to be looking for all of the part member families with inactive priesthood holders and inviting the inactive priesthood holders back to church and teaching their families, so we have hope that Heavenly Father will guide us to those who are prepared to accept His commitments!

We extended a baptismal date to one of our investigators, 63 year old Delia as we sat on the bamboo floor of her little hut surrounded by fish ponds where she sleeps with her 9 year old granddaughter. She really wants to be baptized and really liked her experience at church last week, but is hesitant to accept the date we gave her. She is not sure about how her children will react. She needs prayers! 

I am really looking forward to General Conference this week! What did you enjoy most about general conference? I am planning on going in with questions in mind and I know Heavenly Father will provide answers and inspiration through his chosen servants :) (It takes a week to get conference translated into Tagalog.)

I love you all and I am so happy to be here! I love His work :)
Sister Gustafson 


 
 Sisters in Manat.


 Working with Sister Sunshine. She enters the MTC on Friday.


 
 View of the fishponds from my bedroom window.


 Zone activity - Sports and watching "The Best Two Years" with a catered lunch.




No comments:

Post a Comment