Wednesday, October 15, 2014

What an incredible General Conference!



What an incredible General Conference! I cannot remember having a more revelatory, spiritual conference in my life. I think partially it was due to my spiritual preparation. Preparing to receive revelation really makes a difference. I came in with a list of topics and concerns of our investigators that I wanted to receive guidance on and it seems that everything I had written was addressed. I came out of the last session of conference, my heart full and I wanted to say, like King Benjamin's people in the book of Mosiah, "I believe all the words which have been spoken ...and know of their surety and truth because of the Spirit of the Lord Omnipotent which has wrought a mighty change in us, or I our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually." I resolve to make the sacrament a more sacred experience each week and to think of how the Atonement has strengthened me in the previous week. I want to be kinder and more giving. I want to recognize more fully me utter dependence on Christ's mercy and Heavenly Father's blessings and become more humble and submissive to his will. Elder Bednar's talk was amazing and I wish we could have had all of our investigators there to hear President Uchtdorf's as well :) I can't wait to get my hands on my own copy of the Liahona! :)

 Sis Filomina, Bro Jhunard, and Sis Jhazzmanne all passed their baptismal interviews yesterday and are so excited to be baptized on Saturday :) We were so happy to see Sis Filomina show up to General conference in a skirt for the first time yesterday! They are so sweet and hard-working and humble. Our sweetest experience this week with them was giving Sis Filomina a hand massage by candlelight. Her hands are constantly red and raw and cracked from washing laundry all day to earn a living, so Sis Opeda and I smoothed lotion on and rubbed her sore and tired hands before we taught them of repentance as a true change of heart, like taking something red and raw and broken and making it whole again through the soothing power of the Atonement. I love Sis Filomina and her frizzy graying hair and toothy grin so much. :)

We are also teaching an adorable newlywed part member couple. Sis Joanne is a lifelong member, but married a nonmember, Joseph. We taught them three evenings this past week and can just see how much they love each other. Sis Joanne is pregnant and Bro Joseph is so caring with her. He is really working hard to stop smoking so he can be a better dad to his future baby.

We also met a new older couple this week, Sis Merlie and Bro Ronnie when we went looking for their children who are members and now have their own families. They immediately welcomed us in and Sister mentioned to us how she's always wondered if her children's church is true, but never had a chance to be taught by the missionaries until now. Sister and Brother came to general conference yesterday and really enjoyed hearing the words of the living prophet:) We are excited to extend a baptismal date to them this week!

We also are teaching a part member family with two girls ages 10 and 12, Tanya and Yechia. They are precious and so innocent. I know why Christ invites us to become as children! :) 

I really enjoyed studying Jacob 5 in depth in my personal study this week. I had always kind of skimmed over this section before, but found that as I took the time to study and search it, I gained a lot of new insights about the scattering of Israel, Christ's ministry, the apostasy, and my role in the gathering of Israel. It is amazing how the great Master will never give up on his vineyard and does all things for our good. I am grateful to be his servant :)

I love you all!
Sister Gustafson :)


 Bayambang Sisters!

No comments:

Post a Comment